Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Power of Twitter

I have just read over the past few day a book called 'Starter' by Lissa Price.  It is a young adult book set in a dystopian America in which all the parents have died out and children are either looked after by their grandparents or have noone.  The only reason I bought this book was that over Easter there were a lot of tweets promoting the book and I then wanted to read it to see what the fuss was about.  I got the book during the Easter holidays but only had time to read it now as I have been reading all the books on the UKLA book awards shortlist.
I have read the book over the three days and can't wait until Enders is out later this year.  The book contains a strong female lead character and has some great twists that you just don't expect.  It explores the possible issues that would come with an ageing population who long to be young.  It also leads to the question of who should be vaccinated against disease as it is often the elderly and the young first so what happens to the young who become orphans.
Lissa Price is a new author who has successfully promoted her book via people using Twitter to discuss it.  She also uses the technology of aurasma to make her book cover come to life.  It is the second book I have that has a cover that does this and it fascinated my children.
I would both recommend this book but would also recommend the use of Twitter to positively promote books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment